Aaaah - after about 20 hours in airports and on airplanes, we were able to get a taxi to our hotel. It's hard to say what we missed the most about the US. There are so many things we take for granted. We certainly already miss some things about Thailand though.
Airport was simple but we arrived 3 hours early just in case - bought a ticket for Mia. They did ask to see our adoption paperwork (huge brown envelope we received with our Visa which is sealed and must be open by US immigration at US Customs). I asked them not to open it and they said they know - they just needed to see that it was still sealed. Then we proceeded to the Thai citizen line for a passport check. The employees tried to steer us away but I held up Mia's Thai passport and pointed to her and said Baby is Thai citizen. No problem.
Mia threw her pudding on the first flight which was 3 1/2 hour. Thankfully, it didn't land on anyone because it was chocolate. Took a bottle and slept the rest of the flight. Thank you Lord!
The transfer in Taipei was very easy.
The next flight was 11 1/2 hours. She slept almost the entire time. Woke up for bottles and ate breakfast and watched TV for a while. But mostly she slept.
Our taxi driver wouldn't take us to McDonald's which did not go over well with me. After 20 hours traveling, I didn't want to walk 3 blocks to eat. But I refrained from telling him what I really thought about him. Funny - we were in Thailand for 9 days and never, not one time, saw anyone lose their temper or even raise their voice. If only the US could be that way. I guess you can't have it all.
For those of you wondering - Mia became a US citizen the minute she landed in the US. We have a bit of paperwork to do so we get a birth certificate with her US name and the US passport with her US name.
We flew EVA Airlines which I highly recommend. The food was much better on the way home. And we brought snacks in case it wasn't. The service was excellent.
6 comments:
Welcome home little Miss M! So glad you guys are safe and sound and nearly in your own beds. How great that must feel.
So great that she's taking her first steps with you all and really seems to be adjusting well. How fun that she has big brothers to show her the ropes. I want to know how she'll feel about cold weather though, your sweater-wearing girl.
Welcome back!!! It's funny the comfort of home that you miss and then the things you miss about Thailand. What you said about no one losing their temper...that's one of the things I always miss about Thailand: the sweet Thai people and their calm, peaceful ways. Wish you could just bottle that up and bring it back to the US with ya! So glad to hear you are all safe and sound and home.
Glad you are home...and we made the mistake to think our daughter becomes a US citizen when we landed but in reality it was not the case - you will get a green card for her permanent residency and then at finalization she will be a US citizen...I don't think that has changed for Thailand but if it did then correct me.
Either way WELCOME to your 2nd HOME!!!
Actually we weren't sure about the citizenship so we asked a customs. Tihe customs officer explained that she is a citizen as soon as she lands. She has a temporary green card which she can travel on although I don't see us leaving the country anytime soon. The perm one comes in 4-6 months and then we take the oath for her in Chicago. There's also the US passport, social and birth certificate that will happen sometime next year after Chicago I believe. It's all very confusing. Thank goodness for everyone else showing us the ropes. At least for now we can relax!
Dear Terri
Hello This is Penny . How Do you do that!? I don't understand about this thing. Amazing huh? It took us about 1 month to get a visa. Why Do you not go to USCIS? How amazing you are!! When do you got home? Tell me about that. I love to see your kids. I think your kids is sooo cute. First we think we can get home between 23rd but no fair ha ha!! But I'm So happy to be home with my family. God bless you. And still love you very sooo much. I remember my family try to adoption me. But I was soo happy to see my family. But I'm not happy to say good-bye to my friends because I stay in Thailand very long time. But now I can learn English and speak language too. Now I'm not using the Electronic dictionary. Because I know a lot of English. I hope you enjoy your Christmas Day!!!
Love ,
J.C.PENNY.
Sounds like she is a great little flyer! So glad you are all home safe. Can't wait to hear how Mia is loving her her new home.
Post a Comment