Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Board Meeting Day

Thanks for all your sweet comments - wish I had time to email everyone!

Bell Party of 5

They look so hot! Oh wait - they are!

First night - princess finally let us put her down!

The board meeting went well - just about 5-10 minutes of people asking us questions. They weren't hard. Then they approved us to adopt Mia and signed the final piece of paper to get her US Visa. Mia cried once and we gave her a treat and she stopped immediately. Yay for Gerbers treats. They are like magic! The board meeting waiting area is not air conditioned and did I mention it's hot here and we're all dressed up? We were all sweating to death by the time we were called. I think we were last.

While we were there, we ran into a very nice family from Tennessee with their completely adorable little boy. We saw families from all over the world adopting all ages. All happy parents with anxious kids. It's interesting to see how different the kids take this adoption stuff. Some crying, some running away, some scared to leave their new parent's side, they are all different so we new parents don't know what to expect. For us - it has been mostly happy just keep her moving and keep her bottle close by. It's more of a pacifier than a bottle most of the time. It is fun to watch her reaction as she takes it all in. I can't imagine what it must be like to experience so much so fast but she is doing amazing.

But how did the first night go??? She fell asleep about 8 and woke up at 10 and 2. At 10 we just rocked her with a bottle of water and she went back to sleep immediately. She normally wakes up at 2 and takes a bottle with formula. I know - I couldn't believe that either. Well - she wanted it - she drained it and fell back asleep until 5:45. Chris and I woke up at 5 to get ready for the board meeting. Wasn't sure how the first morning would go with the party of 5 so I wanted some cushion. Morning went fine - we were early. I thought that was pretty good for a first night/day.

We are exhausted now and actually heading to bed. Mia is already asleep.

Tomorrow is the Visa meeting day. Another long, hot, tiring day. We have to be at the building by 8:30 so that's a train and a 5 minute walk or a taxi but traffic is so bad - I'm kind of afraid we'd be late if we go take a taxi so train it is. It's no biggee now - we take it everyday.

11 comments:

Jessica said...

You're a beautiful family of five. I can't tell your melting from the pictures! I love the area where you took your group photo, I've never seen one from that place.

So glad the first night went well. If you're still toasty, there is a cooling powder you can buy from Tops. It's called Protex, we buy the pink one. (The bottle is english on one side, Thai on the other.) It does help some. Matt swears by it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful family!! So very happy for you guys!

rosemary said...

I'm so glad your meeting went well and that you have your official paperwork! Even though it's nothing to worry about it must still be an amazing feeling of relief. Sounds like your first all night of Mia went really well so Congratulations, MOMMY!! ;-)

Ellie said...

Congratulations!!! Another big day behind you! Praying you get some good sleep tonight for your big day tomorrow! Enjoy your time there as much as you can. You'll be home again before you know it! :)

Melissa Ens said...

Yay for the skytrain and getting through your board meeting! It feels so good to have the legal stuff all out of the way and you're almost there! Hope your visa appt. goes as smoothly as ours did... and that you enjoy wherever you head to next! The rest of Thailand is so much more beautiful than the crowded city (as least I think so!) Have fun!!!

Bridget said...

What a great photo of all of you together. I remember how sweltering it was waiting for the board meeting. I can't imagine being one of the last families. Sounds like you guys are doing great. So happy for you.

Anonymous said...

You are one day closer to bringing our little girl home so we can love her too.

Kam said...

Ah, hot Bangkok! But you all look so darn cute standing in front of that sign! Glad your board meeting went well! Ours was easy peasy too...just a formality I guess.

You all look so great!

hirallysantiago@gmail.com said...

So sweet - the waiting area oh yeah - I do remembering melting as we waited...Isn't it amazing how tiny they are once they are in your arms - can't really tell from the pictures we get while we are waiting...so adorable.

Rob & Michelle said...

Hi Terri,
I just had a chance between yesterday and today to catch up on your blog. Congratulations guys! I am so happy for you all. I am holding back tears of joy. Reading about your adventures is wonderful for me and for my hubby as we prepare for that day soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your beautiful life with us. We are so very happy for you guys. Hope you have a great time at the beach. Looking forward to future posts. Congrats again! Blessings from, Michelle

chaniemom said...

Unlike your board meeting, ours was long. I think it was about half an hour. They spoke in Thai a lot to Penny since she was thirteen. They even asked the poor girl if she had become a woman, yet. It was hot! And Penny threw up the first time we travelled to the Child Adoption Center due to car sickness. Glad to hear that things are going smoothly for you so far. Keep us updated!