Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cold Weather Stinks

Palm Trees don't grow in KY even if they sell them in KY...


The temps are out of control. What is this all about??? I mean, I know winter comes every year but is it necessary that it make its appearance in November. We had temps in the teens here in the Bluegrass this week and it snowed a foot and a half north of us. That garbage is for Jan/Feb.

Had a conversation with a friend today - he's obviously a little more serious than me - went a little something like this:

Friend - How are you coping with this cold weather?

Me - thinking this will be funny - I am considering a move to California.

Friend - You know Cali is only 2.5 miles "deep" and then it is water and will definitely fall into the ocean when the big one hits.

Me - Great - I always wanted to live on an island.

Friend - No, it will sink.

Me - Well - I guess I'll die in my rag-top car with a sun-kissed face and a giant smile thinking thank goodness I didn't wait until retirement. Are you telling me you recommended oceanfront property in Vegas?

Friend - No - can you imagine the tidal wave that will follow the breaking off and sinking of the enormous state?

Me - laughing - Well, if you are telling me I'll drown anyway, I better start packing. Would be rather pidazzled if I was sitting in these temps when the wave comes through.


My nephew once told me that I'd get sick of the sunny weather. I told him he was crazy but after living through 36 cold winters and seeing the Cali weather on my iPhone (which I love) everyday, I think I'd like to see if it's possible.


Here are my boys on a cool day at Destin Beach, FL. I love this picture. You can just see the warmth soaking into them. I remember how great the sun felt that day everytime I look at it.

4 comments:

Melissa Ens said...

I PROMISE I'm not trying to rub your cold weather in your face... But I have to say it is much warmer here! I was wearing short sleeves this afternoon. Strange, actually. And it makes it REALLY HARD to believe it's Thanksgiving next week and that I should be Christmas shopping already!

One funny thing. Just the other day my motherinlaw (who grew up in Kansas) was telling me the story of when she was 20 and saw a live palm tree for the first time in her life and how excited she was. And that was the first time I EVER realized that palm trees can't grow everywhere - like places where it snows! DUH! You'd think after 36 years I'd have known that...

rosemary said...

I am a Florida girl and now I have suffered through 3 winters in NYC and, I swear to you, I am barely making it. When I went running this morning it was 32 degrees before wind chill. I consider that a full on arctic emergency.

I miss the beach.

Chris and Terri said...

Yes Melissa - That's what my sis-in-law said too. "it's hard to imagine it's cold when I'm sweating in Ts and shorts". I thought maybe my palm would grow indoors. It is like me to kill plants though.

Rosemary - I'm not sure how you ended up in NYC from the sunny state - must have had a weak moment is all I can think. And next KY. HMMM - you probably won't think it's cold after NY but it's still cold.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I am not a cold weather girl! Hey, I am ready for Mexico anytime you are........................well, after our kids come home that is!

Kathleen
Journey to Shaun