Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Windstorm 2008

I have to comment on what the Louisville Media is calling "Windstorm 2008". The media's little names are so corny. Let me preface this post with - Nothing about the damage or deaths related to Hurricane Ike is funny. If you read my blog, you should know me that well. The Texas damage is devastating and I'm aware that Ike has left destruction across its huge path. Once again, it's the parents and media who crack me up.

Here's what's not so funny about the damage - this is just in Louisville -


  • 300,000 lost electricity - 200,000 still without
  • Thousands of trees are down
  • Thousands of power lines are down
  • Over 100 public schools are without power - no word on private (which we have a ton of in Louisville - we're the Catholic capitol - I think)
  • Street lights aren't working so getting anywhere takes forever and when you get there, it's most likely closed.
  • No ATMs
  • Stores, restaurants have been without power since mid-day Sunday
  • Gas stations, which are running on generators or have electricity, don't have gas - most are still closed - I've seen lines at the open ones 30-50 cars deep and the one down the street has nobody in line (very odd)
It's a complete mess here!

We were expecting rain and some wind gusts. Not exactly what we got - Category 1 Hurricane strength winds (no rain) for 5 hours. Anyway - I'm very lucky - I have power, no trees lost and no damage to my house.

Here's what was a little bit funny -
We had a good laugh at how much we depend on our Debit card when (Sunday - noonish) we thought we'd grab a bite to eat on the way to Mark's game. McDonalds was only accepting cash - ok we had $6 between us (LOL - I didn't go to the bank like I was supposed to) so the kids can eat before the game, McAllisters was only accepting cash, Panera Bread (whew - taking the debit card). Lunch was before the electricity went out at all those places. We had no idea how bad it was until we got in the car and starting driving around. So Mark's game was cancelled as we arrived to the field which is 30 minutes from our house.

But the funniest part of this is also the most pathetic. The media held a news conference yesterday. Apparently, enough people had asked the question that they felt it was necessary to comment on it. What do we do with our children??? We have no power - therefore, the kids have no electronics. So the Mayor said, "Take them to the park, take them on a hike, take them to the library - they have internet there." I laughed out loud at how pathetic this is actually suggesting the library since they have internet - he didn't mention they have books. My kids (don't get me wrong) as I've said many times, will play games 24-7 if I let them, which I don't.

Today - there's a couple of huge articles in our paper about what to do with all this time on your hands. Keep in mind - many adults can't go to work because their kids aren't in school or work doesn't have electricity. This is too funny. The article about the kids' boredom listed 10 different things to do with a tennis ball, play board games (and then listed them as if we need to be reminded what a board game is - not to be confused with a bored game) Scrabble, Clue, ...crafts, no bake entertainment such as potato painting, pretend you are camping, indoor picnics (do you know how beautiful it is in KY right now??? It's officially fall. Here's an idea - take them outside for that picnic or camping).

I just found this hysterical and pathetic that people don't know what to do with their kids. Gosh - I better quit blogging to I can figure out what to do with mine...

I should end on a positive note of stating the Louisvillians are great. Neighbors helping neighbors, sharing generators, sharing freezer space, cutting down trees, most people are patient and careful driving the streets with no lights and although, I have heard of looting occurring, it has not been widespread enough to even require a curfew or make the news. I'm not a fan of Louisville winters but I am a fan of our people. And no one, not one person has complained of gas prices since Sunday - we're just thankful to find one open with gas. Not one gas station has jacked prices up to take advantage either. I do wish one of my neighbors would cut my grass because I'm out of gas!!! So - this is why people stay in this city and move back to this city - it's all about the people. Even though - I think Dec-Feb still just stink and NO! - I would never, not for the best job in the country, move an inch NORTH of here!!!

No comments: