Thursday, September 25, 2008

Harry Potter - Completed!

OK I know what you are thinking - Didn't the real Harry Potter fans complete this series in July of 2007 when Book 7 came out? Yes - I'm a bit slow.
Matt got me roped into these books a couple years ago and I finally dug my heels in last month to finish Book 4 and 5. Wasn't a huge fan of Book 4 but...loved Book 5.

I just wrapped up the 7th book of Harry Potter. WOW WOW WOW The series is over 4,100 pages. Book 6 and Book 7 are the best books I've ever read. I couldn't put them down - If I didn't have a life, I would have read them start to finish without stopping. I guess fortunately, I have a life. I would actually read a page or two while waiting in the Starbucks drive-thru every morning and even considered calling in sick which I don't ever do (and I didn't) to finish Book 7. I didn't go anywhere without the book just in case I could sneak a few pages of reading in. I actually wanted to take Book 6 to the UofL game last week but thought my husband would have a coronary! Turned out to be a good game.

I heard a lot of people giving their opinions of the way in which the series ended. I loved it. I won't give the ending away but J.K. Rowling explained everything. Her writing is so impressive that it's as if someone is painting the story-line in front of us. She describes the scenery and characters extensively. I was rather attached to these characters so seeing the series end was a bit sad and a bit of a relief. I want a book to hold my interest; I don't want a book to absorb my life. But now I want to rent all the movies and watch them so I guess I'm still a bit absorbed.

What to read after Harry Potter??? Anything seems like it will be a let-down. I picked up Book 1 of the Twilight series. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'll let you know.

No comments: