Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget

My kids were 2 1/2 and 6 months on 9/11/01. Each year I give them a headsup in case they discuss the terrorist attacks at school. Matt said they would pray about 9/11 at mass but Mark said they were learning about animals not crashing planes this week.

I remember Matt jumping on my bed and Mark laughing as he was laying on the bed watching his big brother.

I remember wanting to cry at their innocence.

I remember thinking their lives wouldn't be like mine and being very angry.

I remember thinking they are too young to remember where they were on 9/11.

I remember praying a lot.

I remember my priest telling me I should forgive those who did this to our people, to our country - those who threatened our freedom.

I remember wondering if it would continue across the US - if this devastation would become "normal".

I remember making a silent vow to the troops that I would not live in fear. I would get on an airplane. I would visit big cities. I would take my kids to DisneyWorld. I would use my freedoms.

I remember it all like it was yesterday. But it has been 7 years.

This was not created by me - but each year I watch a video of 9/11 and pay respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDh_pvv1tUM

No comments: