Our legs are starting to scream at us. I can’t imagine how many miles we walked yesterday but we walked at least that many today and today we added a lot of hills. We are definitely seeing all SF has.We took a taxi today and I’m fairly certain we got air at some points. The boys loved it.
We rented 2 person scooter cars and rode by the Golden Gate Bridge, through the city, up to Lombard (crooked street) and even rode down the crooked street. People were looking at our little cars and snapping pictures left and right. I kept telling Mark to smile and wave for their cameras. It was a lot of fun. Matt said he was so happy we did this. He loved it. Mark went from slow down Mom to open it up full speed Mom. We had step-by-step maps and the boys were our navigators reading the instructions. Mark is an ok reader so trying to figure out the street name was interesting for me.
Lombard (Crooked Street)
Coming down Lombard
We ate clam chowder (red and white) and itty-bitty donuts that I have been wanting since I first smelled them. All was great. Chris and Matt weren’t crazy about the donuts so I took care of those for us. Can’t let something that good go to waste.One of the many birds here pooped on Mark’s head. He was not pleased. Once he showered, he pepped back up.
The night tour of Alcatraz was everything I always imagined. I have always loved watching the Escape from Alcatraz movie. How is it that these people are criminals in a federal penitentiary and yet, we find ourselves feeling sorry for them and cheering their escape. I don’t get it. I guess it’s because the movie doesn’t discuss their offenses. Hollywood is good. Seeing it in person, I didn’t feel sorry for them. We all enjoyed the tour. Matt and Mark would not walk into the cells without us but I don’t think the tour scared them.
Regular Cell - 5 feet wide X 9 feet deep
Solitary Confinement
Did I mention how cold it is? No? Well, we’re just trying not to think about it but by the end of the day, we are just frozen. You know how there’s a warm 60 – well that’s not here. It’s a cold 60. The wind is brutal but the sun did peek out through the clouds. The view as we left Alcatraz was great.
No comments:
Post a Comment