What do I love most about Louisville? Certainly NOT the weather! Where can it be 40 degrees, 80 degrees, sunny and rainy, windy and calm all in the same 24 period? Right here in the Ville!
I love Louisville, KY for The Kentucky Derby - The fastest 2 minutes in sports. The buildup to two minutes is a bit crazy but isn't that why people love it or hate it?
We're among the lovers. Every year we need plenty of coffee, Advil and cheek massages from laughing until our face hurts.
On the day before Derby - (OAKS DAY) we go to the track. No need for fancy dresses and hats as we go to the infield. We take canopies, ponchos, chairs and money to burn. We might see a horse if it rains hard enough to encourage those unprepared for rain to go home. Cali Jenn calls this lucky. She prays for rain. She's not right! At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's rain or shine or if we win or lose, it's about spending an entire day laughing with old friends and family and meeting new ones! This is my favorite day of the year second only to Christmas. I put my money on Little Belle (of course) for the Oaks race. She ran second. What do you see in the infield? Just about everything. 20 matching Pink suits on men, nice dresses and hats, bare feet and people who should put their shirts back on.
Derby Day is party day. We throw a party for about 70-100 people. I haven't counted this year but it was a good crowd and lots of fun to be had. Big Brown took the race this year. Louisville's favorite as we're the main sorting hub for UPS. And of course, Eight Belles ran second. We didn't bet but I would have had that Exacta if we did. I didn't think to bet it Friday. And you probably heard Eight Belles was hurt and had to be euthanized at the end of the race. I feel very strongly that the Derby should be limited to 15-17 horses although they say that didn't cause the injury. I always say One of these days... It's an amazing sight to see 20 horses race. Also a scary one. Aside from Eight Belles what a great day. We are so fortunate to have family and friends who share in the craze of Derby.
The Derby After Party is always a blast. And of course, more cheek massages as we all get a little bit slap happy. This year we have 2 new quotes which I won't explain but they will have us doubled-over for years for come. "D" and "You're So Vain".
Then it's over for an entire year! And we'll do it all over again! I love it and if I'm ever lucky enough to get to relocate to the beach, I'll miss this.
I thought Derby would take my mind off Mia and my lack of homestudy report but not so much. Our SW said our homestudy report would be completed a month ago. We've been patient but we're ready NOW. M's in our thoughts everyday and I just want to know that we're on a waiting list. My niece Lucy wanted to know if she'd get to meet Mia Derby Day and she then remembered she'd be 6 when she meets her. She's such a sweet little girl and Chris and I just eat her up! Lisa (her mom) and I had a good laugh as I told her she'd have to train me on little girls hair since I'm 100% clueless about girls.
The rainy picture is from Oaks Day and the sunny picture is from Derby Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment