So I was thinking about Jen "getting on that plane" to Thailand yesterday morning. My day was a busy one running nonstop errands, which quite literally, didn't stop until about 9:30 last night when I collapsed and fell asleep immediately - well, immediately after checking everyone's blogs. ;) I was thankful that I had a very productive day despite some stops taking a longer than they should. Banks are the slowest and don't really seem to care - although my veterinarian took an hour to sign a form stating my dog would not cause harm to a child (and he altered the form - seriously, he's a 7 pound walking ball of fur) and this is international adoption, YOU DON'T ALTER FORMS!!! Then it hit me - look at all I've accomplished in 12 hours and Jen is only halfway to Thailand. Holy Crap - a 24 hour flight is VERY LONG...
Some highlights of my week
When I pick the kids up everyday, I hear "Dude", "Tight", "Cool" and "Man" no less than 30 times before I get out of the parking lot. I wonder if M's first sentence will be "Dude, That is so Tight...Man, Cool..." and it's important to emphasize and drag out the right words.
I "found" an old friend who has a 2 year old little girl - actually, I showed up at her yard sale in my own neighborhood not realizing we moved close to her house. She handed me an enormous bag of little girls clothes and said, "Congratulations!" I've happily given tons of clothes away and was so thrilled to get some cute duds but I really felt bad because I would have spent a lot of money at this yard sale and here she was not accepting any money... I offered several times and then finally accepted her gift, with guilt not really knowing what was pc. What a sweetie! Thanks girl!
I'd like to add that she adopted her little boy from Guatemala. She got her referral when he was less than 1 month old and waited 18 months to travel because of delays. Sometimes I get so anxious about updates, waiting, etc. and I need someone like this to, unknowingly, ground me. Of course, I'm well aware that some people wait 3-5 years for their adopted child. So for today (hey people, I'm only human) I'm going to be a little more understand of the process. I'm going to be thankful that I have a picture and not focus on what I don't have. Does it really matter if she 12 pounds or 14? Seriously, I need to chill.
We are 19 months into this journey with 3 months to go. I say 3 months - of course, we aren't sure when we will travel but we are definitely closing in on the day and we could find out next month when we'll travel so it's good. It's getting closer!
Saturday, September 12, 2009
24 Hours is a Long Time
Labels:
Thailand adoption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You are getting closer! And if you're like me, it's so good to read others' blogs and "watch" them go! To see that it really does happen...that our time will come. I have felt that way about Jen all day. I can't wait to meet her for the first time and hug her neck...and have that coffee that she dreamed we would in BKK. But, I digress...back to you!
It's gonna fly by! Before you know it, it will be the Christmas season and you will be getting the gift of a lifetime!
Blessings to you as you wait!
And yes...24 hours is a stinkin' long time!
With a Benadryl tablet and a good book, that flight will go faster than you think! You have been the eternal optimist during this process! Thanks for always being so cheerful and finding the silver lining. So glad M got so many cute things. Can't wait to see her in them 3 months from now.
I actually find that after all the hectic travel preparations the long flight is a little bit of a relaxer (for the first 12 hours). I'm not sure if I'll feel that way this time. I've never had to sit still that long knowing I was literally days away from meeting my son! So exciting!
And I loved that you reminded me we could be finding out in October our travel dates. Really encouraging stuff!
Post a Comment