For months Little M's name has been Mia. But what about her middle name?
The 1st Question everyone had - When do you go get her? 6 Months
The 2nd Question - Why 6 months? We addressed that here
The 3rd Question - What's her middle name? No idea
Our hope was to use a portion of her birth name or maybe even her nick name. I say a portion because I had a guess the birth name might contain every letter in the alphabet and 10 syllables.
We came close -
Her birth name - very long - 8 syllables means beautiful decoration (I think)
Her nick name - Bai Tong means banana leaf
Most people just raise their eyebrows and say Wow when we say her names. But the cutest comment was from a former school teacher who said that's not going to fit on a standardized test. :)
I think the obvious choice if we were to convert a portion to English would be a variation Isabella but with a last name of Bell, we aren't leaning toward that.
So we are left with the debate that most parents of internationally adopted children have - will she care later if her name doesn't sound American? Remember, she will already look different than everyone in her class. Picture that 2nd grade conversation of "What's your middle name?" My kids wanted to know WHY I picked their names. So names are important and I learned later that having a meaningful reason was better received than saying we just liked the name.
I stare at her given names a lot - trying to come up with something and debating just using a portion of the name in the Thai form. We will use Bai Tong as a nickname since she knows Bai Tong as her name. It won't be unusual if she's never heard her birth name but that doesn't mean we shouldn't honor the name chosen by her birth mother. Afterall, it was her plan for adoption that brought M to us.
Ah - Decisions Decisions... I am so thrilled to be at this point in the "process".
And yes - I am buying every cute dress I come across. But that's a whole different post. I will just say that I must think polka dots are cute. I noticed a trend and am making a conscious effort to lose the trend.

9 comments:
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with!
You guys are being so thoughtful and loving of Mia and her heritage. I'm sure she will appreciate it later.
You could leave sunthaisong as her middle name and let her tell people Sue was her middle name when she goes through that stage of feeling like she wants to "fit in". It's a cute name though and seems easier to say than her 1st name.
Hi,
What about Grace ?
A Grace is a present from God isn't it?
Or Louise, Louisa? It means full of light?
Why don't you just translate her name into english and then look for a name that has an identical meaning?
Good luck, let us know when you get somewhere.
Best wishes,
Daisy
How fun!! She does have a super long name!!!! Can't wait to hear what you decide! Glad you're having fun dress shopping, too!
Just noticed something cute (that you probably already noticed in all of your staring at her name) but you didn't mention it... that the end of her last name spells "Thai Song". : ) I just thought that was sweet. I'm glad our guy's first name was so short so we were able to keep it as his middle name!
oh what a happy conundrum! It's a good thing Mia has a short first and last name so that her middle name can be longer. Here's the real question though - how do you pronounce it?
That is so funny about the polka dots! I bought like 5 or 6 dresses with polka dots and 2 swimsuits! And yes, all those cute girlie dresses are addicting! I may actually have some to pass your way if they don't fit Ruby.
About the name. I love the idea of Isabelle in there. Or how about Mia Issayri or just Issayri... or Issy as nickname? I don't know...Tough call! We did the same. Wanted so much to keep a part of her Thai name but never found the right combo. "Ruby" stuck so that's what we are going to call her but for awhile we will call her by her Thai name and then slowly transition into Ruby. Good luck! Either way, she'll be fine and know you did the best for her. What a fun decision for you to have to make! :-)
Hi! Just dropping in to tell you that we're going private. I would like to send you an invite to view the blog. If you'd like one, just email me, so I have your email address. You can send email to... elliegrace78@yahoo.com.
Have a wonderful weekend!
ellie
Post a Comment