Monday, July 27, 2009

Journal

For all you parents out there - you know this is true. (As much as we hate to admit it).

For all you first timers, you've got to believe me. You won't remember it all.

Go buy a journal. Put it on your TO DO LIST. Buy a journal.

Tomorrow - write one thing in it about your kids.

Yesterday, I would have written - I was beaming with pride at Matt playing baseball today. After 3 weeks off due to rain and vacation, he smacked a double, a triple, had 4 RBIs and launched the ball from center field (playing shortstop - he was the cutoff) to get a kid out at home. I walked up to him and said who's going to run on that arm? And he gave me knuckles and we both laughed!

Today, I would write - Mark was jumping up and down waving his arms in the driveway when I came home. He was so excited to see me bringing home his Chicken Nuggets and he was so excited about his first football practice of the year. I nearly cried at seeing his excitement and I hated more than anything having to miss his first practice for work.

But there were days that I didn't think to write about. There were days that I should have written down how I felt and I didn't. How did I feel the day Mark got his first tooth? Was it the cutest smile I'd ever seen? or when Matt played his first T-ball game. Did I think he would be major league someday? I wish I knew. I wish I could remember. Sure - I could make it up now but it wouldn't be genuine. I thought I would remember it all. I thought I would NEVER forget the important stuff.

Honestly, there is so much I have forgotten. So I pass this bit of wisdom on to you. I'm so sorry to tell you - You won't remember it all. Time will pass. Those wonderful babies will grow up. And you will wonder where the time went so please take this one bit of parenting advice.

Buy a journal - One minute each day - write a sentence.

Someday, it will be your best seller. You may never sell a single copy but it will be the most priceless book in your house.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What great advice! Thanks. And congrats to your sports super stars. I think Mia is bound to be athletic too.

Kam said...

I totally agree. I have journals {don't know how many there are now} but in them I write letters to our girls. Funny stuff they say. Things they do. Just stuff. And of course big stuff too. But I love them. One day, I'll be gone. And like you, my memory left me a long time ago. Even now, I read back through those journals and am able to remember these things, thinking way back then that there was no way I'd ever forget them!

Great advice for newbies!

rosemary said...

What a good idea. I am a compulsive journaler but I need to get one that is for nothing except writing down things about Button.