17 Months ago we applied to adopt a little girl from Thailand 0-3 years old. That's all we knew for 16 months. How did we get through that? Stayed busy and had a lot of fun with the people around us!!! And at times, stared at the phone, the email, and in general dwelled on it. Hey - nothing but the truth here.
For 16 months we had no idea who this little girl was. Last month we received Mia's information and - Now instead of counting up 16, 17, 18 months, we are finally counting down 6, 5, 4, months until we meet our little girl. I just realized I'm still saying 6 months but actually, the December board meetings are 5 months away and we hope to be there! For those of you wondering - We should get our travel dates 3-8 weeks before we travel to Thailand.
Is the wait harder after referral? A lot of people say yes but for me it has been easier so far. Not knowing was harder - not knowing when we'd get a referral, not knowing her age was not fun. I couldn't plan anything. I couldn't shop for anything.
Now - I know who she is and how old she is and can look for furniture, clothes, baby gadgets, work on middle name (have a few ideas there), think about her when I see 6 month olds, 1 year olds and know that's what she's doing now, that's what she'll be like in Dec. etc. For me - that makes it easier. I've also made a huge conscious decision to not think about missing a year of her life. I was never supposed to parent Mia in her first year. Just repeat it over and over!
It's been a long time since we had a one year old - I recently saw a little girl who had just turned 1 and one year olds are smaller than I remember! LOL
I wonder what else I've forgotten...
Friday, July 10, 2009
17 Months
Labels:
Thailand adoption
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
yay! SOOOO excited for you guys! I can't wait until you get to travel to pick up your little M !!! she is SOOOOO adorable!
when's her bday? I'll have to check the Holt Forum to satisfy my curiosity!
So glad the countdown is going the other way. Happy 17 months. (And for telling me that it gets easier!)
Here's hoping it will fly by for you! She's such a cutie~
OMG --Yeah!! We might travel together! I've been dying to say that to you for weeks and now we can talk about it!! I'm praying super hard! BTW - we live in Charlottesville, VA. How far away from you is that?
Oh, I'd love to see you Rosemary travel together! Two of my favorite bloggers! We need Jess on there, too!
So excited to see you planning and dreaming and in the final months! Very happy for you!
Post a Comment