Today we had the wonderful occasion of discovering a new sport.
STROLLER DERBY!!! From their faces, you can sense our confusion and possibly, dislike for the sport.
I love most sports but I'm not looking forward to playing this one. I don't think it's a new sport - from the looks of this, these women (sorry men, seemed to be a sport for only women) really knew their stuff - cutting off one another to edge the other one out for the open lane, bump and scream to get the better view and for heaven's sakes if you are on 2 legs without wheels, get out of the way, yield or wear shin guards!!! The stage is the Zoo and the players prefer to play on a cool summer morning before noon. At noon the game is just about over and the winner isn't necessarily leaving with a happy child but their child did get to see more animals (at any cost) faster than the rest of the players.
Now I took one look at this sport and decided I had to ignore it so I wouldn't go 100% crazy. I mean, they were everywhere! 1000s of them. This is my first visit to the zoo on a nice summer morning. Up until this summer, I worked full-time and my brave sitter took them to the zoo. Now I know why she never went back! Apparently, other moms (and sitters) with 7 and 9 year old boys had already discovered this sport and decided once was enough because I was the only one there not playing and I really wasn't cheering either.
I did manage to ignore the sport by stroller shopping. Let me tell you - I've seen them all. I saw strollers which looked like strollers and some which I think just got off a space ship. I almost threw Mark in an unoccupied one and took off running and bumping I liked the stroller so much.
Oh yeah - and there were some animals.
Matt and Mark with Scotty the elephant who just turned one and is about 5' tall. Matt is trying to act like he's not having fun.
Mark enjoyed the petting zoo. This is a no stroller allowed area! I think we all liked it!
Matt had to pet every animal and compare their hair texture. I'm thinking scientist or barber.
1 comment:
So funny! Our big old stroller (from the year 2000! gasp!) was nicknamed "the Bulldozer." Real fun in crowded places. Our little umbrella stroller was despised by my hubby. On our first (vacation)trip to Thailand, he hoped it would get dropped on the tarmac and run over by a 747. I'm guessing we're not taking one of those again, if he has anything to say about it! (But the new strollers are so much nicer, aren't they!)
Post a Comment