Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bugs and Baseball




When do these bugs go away? That was the coffee conversation this morning. The cicadas are everywhere! You might know them as the 17 year bug. They are huge, noisy and crazy. And everyone is talking about them. If you look out the window, they are all over the backyard flying in and around the trees - dead all over the yard and driveway. One of them flew down Chris' shirt today while he was cutting grass. He laughed and said, "It's a good thing it wasn't you". I agreed and joked that I would have prayed I had on my pretty bra because I might have thrown off my shirt! Sorry for that visual. The answer is they'll leave in about 6 weeks so I guess we better just get used to them. I just know that when I drive my convertible home I hear them and pray they won't all fly down and attack me!

Matt is on a 9-10 year old kid pitch team. He has played nearly every position this year. He got the nod to start at shortstop Saturday. Needless to say he was very pumped about it. He always starts and plays most the game but the shortstop nod doesn't happen very often. He played a great game - no errors - snagged two balls and threw them out like a seasoned shortstop. He then hit to the right field fence landing him a triple. Might have had a homer but he looked like he was running in sand as he watched the ball while running to first. He kicked it in when I finally had to yell RUN! at him while he was on his way to first base. The Padres eventually landed yet another loss but I will say the kids had fun and finally showed some enthusiasm.

No comments: