Sunday, January 24, 2010

One Month Home

We think she's so beautiful - inside and out!


We’ve been home for a month now - wow - I can hardly believe it!


Mia is doing great. She is completely comfortable with all of us. She initially was more crazy about all the men but now is also crazy about all the women too. She loves her brothers so much it’s really cute and funny. They are equally goo goo over her. I am enjoying their interactions so much!


She started sleeping better about a month after we took custody so that’s about 3 weeks after we got home. She slept 5 1/2 hours straight one night and it was like aaaaaaaah that’s what life is supposed to feel like! I was all excited and the next night she was up 5-10 times. Oh well - Now it’s about 3-5 times a night but it doesn’t last long - only wakes us up, we pat her, hand her the empty bottle (serving as a pacifier) if she needs it and we all go back to sleep.


She is sleeping in our bed. For me that was easier than getting up 5-10 times a night and trying to get her to lay back down in a crib which is across the house. We have debated our options but for now, this is not bothering us and is enabling us to sleep better. Sleep is my friend and everyone in the house agrees that Mom should not be tired. It’s also making her feel secure. She has started taking naps in her crib so we’ll eventually try the nights. She slept in a crib at the foster mom’s house so many people think we are crazy for not putting her directly in her crib at home. Not that I feel like I have to explain our actions, but I do it for future adoptive parents in case they are curious about our decision. Picture a child who screams at the top of her lungs when her new parents lay her down anywhere. Her world had just been shaken up completely. She is scared and needs to feel like she’s not alone. Making her feel more secure everyday is our goal. Initially, she slept on top of us. Then, we were able to lay her next to us after she was asleep for half hour or so while we prayed she wouldn’t wake up. She also “checks on us” several times a night by reaching over and touching us to make sure we are still there. She has come so far. We are able to lay her down with a bottle and she falls asleep on her own although sometimes it’s fun to just hold her until she falls asleep. It’s funny to think about what we can do now that we never would have done in the first couple weeks because we have earned her trust.


She is still taking a bottle 5-6 times a day but no middle of the night bottle. It’s whole milk not formula. I switched bottles to Born Free before we got home. She was taking a 4 oz bottle and still wanted more when she finished it. We brought enough formula to transition her after about a week. (For those of you traveling that was 3 boxes and Holt gave us one box. Keep in mind we traveled for a week after our Visa day.) She loves pizza, chicken, fruit and will pretty much try everything but will gladly give it back if she’s not interested. We are still giving her rice and noodles. It’s hit or miss. She does not like eating the same thing often. Darn it... because I’m not much on variety...


Mia is walking very well. She has no fear at all in fact, will practically run after the boys. She is also into every thing. Kitchen cabinets are her favorite. She has her own drawer but she wants all of them. I think she knows what No means - she just doesn’t care.


We also celebrated my mom and dad’s birthday this month. They do so much for us and It was great to host the dinner because I felt “like myself” again. Some days I just feel like the bottle maker/diaper changer which is ok too. I love this little girl so much and am enjoying being her mom.


So it’s the pictures you were really wanting though -


She loves her Daddy! Check out her favorite shoes - snappy!

Oh there you are - you are SO busted!!!

Such a happy girl - both of us!

They were pretty excited about the bags! They haven't even looked inside.


9 comments:

Robin and Kyle said...

It's so great to hear how well you all are doing!

I LOVE HER SHOES! Do they make adult sizes?

Jessica said...

Happy one month home together! Love Miss M playing in the TP. She's just a doll.

LF said...

She's just so cute! She's lucky to have you guys too - very thoughtful of what she has been through and what she needs. That's the ONLY thing that matters and it sounds to me like you've nailed it! Thanks for the update!

Chris and Terri said...

Those bags should have been free they're so ugly.

Chris

Sharon said...

Our kids slept in our bed also and I wouldn't have had it any other way! Mummy definately needs her sleep.... if mummy's happy, everyone is happy lol! Bub definately needs the security AND it's actually nice being snuggled up next to your little bub knowing she is safe, warm, happy and sleeping!

Kam said...

Yay! Looks like everyone is settling into life beautifully! So glad to hear she is doing so well!

chaniemom said...

What an adorable little girl!

rosemary said...

Congratulations on one month home!! She is so beautiful! Thanks a bunch for all the details in this update - very helpful to us. I love knowing what kind of bottles you're using and how she is doing with adjustments. We are planning on co-sleeping for a while too. We hear it really helps with trust issues and I'm glad it's helping Mia.

Rob & Michelle said...

She is beautiful! Thank you for your post. I always enjoy reading them. It is so helpful.