Monday, January 26, 2009

Kids Sports

Parents crack me up at kid's games. Matt played a team last week whose parents felt compelled to scream at their kids throughout the game. I don't mean - "Rebound" or "Block-Out". I mean, they screamed "Oooooh That was terrible Johnny" or "Johnny I can't believe you didn't take that shot" or "Johnny that's a terrible shot. You have to hit that." I mean - it is just a 4th grade basketball game, right? And so much for positive reinforcement.

What is it about a bunch of 10 year olds playing ball that causes parents to lose their minds? Or is that the way they act all the time? It's not like this is the first time we've experienced such a mess of parents.

I mean - there was the football game where the lady who was also the "Cheer Coach" (it was printed on the back of her shirt and she was NOT cheerful) was ripping her kids in the parking lot before and after the game and also ripped the coaches, refs and most likely (although I am making this part up) the Concession Stand Volunteers for the incorrect amount of ice in the cup.

And then there was the time when our player knocked the catcher into next week during a play at home plate. The runner was called out and the catcher did in fact drop the ball (so I realize according to Major League Rules he was safe). As the catcher was lying half unconscious in the dirt, several of our parents felt compelled to scream HE'S SAFE! HE'S SAFE! HE DROPPED THE BALL!! repeatedly. After much debate inside my head, I finally said, actually I yelled, WHO CARES? THE KID IS HURT AND WE'RE DOWN BY 20!!! which is a bit out of my realm of comfort. I like to stay Ms. Nicey Pants at these games and save my opinions for things that are more important but I was ready to choke our parents.

For the most part - our school's parents seem to keep it together which I like. Occasionally, we get the parent who is a bit crazed but we make a note and sit further away from him next game.

So Chris and I had a good laugh over lunch at these crazy parents and thank God that we aren't that crazy.

Mark's league is completely different. It is our school/church league - no outside teams allowed. Kind of like a cult! We allow everyone to break the rules. We cheer for everyone on the court no matter what team she is on. It's a great community and I really love it. The score might be 60-60 but we don't keep score so who knows, who cares?

No comments: