Last year when the earthquake hit Haiti, Matt asked me if we were going to adopt all the orphans in Haiti. It was a joke, but my heart was breaking for these people. I often wondered why this happened to such a poor country. I know I shouldn't seek answers, but I admit it is difficult sometimes. So I just replied no, it just makes me sad. One day he will understand the magnitude of a natural disaster. 230,000 is not just a number; they are real people who are no more or less than me. Perhaps, the reason is to awaken the rest of us.
No, I'm not announcing that we are adopting all the Haitian orphans, but it made me think. I should be doing something. Several people asked me about adoption and specifically, adoption from Haiti right after the earthquake. Adoptions were suspended temporarily at that time. They aren't now. So I should tell you a little about the kids who are waiting, just in case, someone out there is thinking they want to be a parent too, or a parent again, or the wait for referral in a different international program is just too long. Or perhaps, you want to sponsor a child from Haiti or make a Gift of Hope.
There are some really adorable, scared, but healthy kids available through Holt International. The process to adopt from Haiti could take 2 years or so. The way I look at that is you better get started quickly because your kid is only getting older by the day... So check them out - the happy baby girl with the soccer ball brother, the scared little boy, the adorable, concerned little fellow, the beautiful, sassy little girl and the protective big sister of the confused little sister and so cute baby brother!
Like I told Matt - we can't adopt them all. We have to figure out a different way to help.
And here's a link to some pictures - before and after - make sure you check out #31 - the little boy whose Uncle makes a plan of adoption for him after his mother has perished. Be warned - they will break your heart.
1 comment:
I think Haiti was one of the first disasters that I thought of in terms of individual people, problems, etc... vs. just a terrible tragedy. That's probably a terrible thing to admit to, but it's true. Sometimes its good to be reminded that the world is so much bigger than just me.
Post a Comment